Lotus Root and Peanuts Soup with Pork (蓮藕花生湯)
The leaves outside are starting to turn into beautiful colors and the fresh crispy wind is sneaking through the window with a friendly chill. Time to shake off the summer laziness and embrace the arrival of the fall season!
As the weather is getting colder each day, my appetite for hot soups is coming back again. Waking up in a cold morning, there is nothing better than having a bowl of hot soup while watching my two cute kittens play.
I know that a bowl of easy Chinese soup such as Peanut with Lotus Root Soup will always hit the spot….BUT I always find the soup alone not satisfying as the old Chinese saying: breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
My tummy tells me she wants to have something more substantial, and my tummy knows well that soup goes well with the homemade baozi – Chinese steamed meat buns!!!
Since I have a hard time finding a steamed meat bun I really like here so I like to do it myself (of course that can be only done on weekends)
The key to an awesome steamed meat bun:
- Tasty filling that’s packed with tasty juicy meat and vegetables
- Fluffy and soft dough that holds the filling
One of my favorite fillings is the minced pork and napa with fresh shiitake mushroom…yummm
Folding the meat bun is an art….but enough practice will always get your there
Full Chinese steamed bun recipe coming soon…..
Lotus root, the tuber of the lotus plant, is a popular cooking ingredient in Asian cooking culture.
This starchy root vegetable is rich in fiber and nutrients. It is also full of medical values in Chinese medicine.
In Chinese cuisines, lotus root is often stir-fried, boiled in a soup, or deep fried. It can also be used for Chinese desserts and fruit candies.
This lotus root soup is healthy and absolutely delicious. The addition of dried seafood gives a nice kick in terms of flavor. Best of all, this soup is super easy to make!
[stextbox id=”info” bgcolor=”B2FAEE”]
Lotus Root and Peanuts Soup with Pork – Ingredients
- 2 lb fresh lotus root (found in Asian market or farmers’ market)
- 1.5 lb Pork bones or ribs
- ½ cup Peanuts
- 2 pc Dried cuttlefish or other dried seafood
- 3 slice Ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallion
Lotus Root and Peanuts Soup with Pork – Step By Step
1. Clean the lotus root thoroughly and peel the skin. Soaked the peanuts and dried seafood until soft.
2. Blanche the pork in boiling water to get rid of the scum and porky smell. Set aside.
3. In a soup pot, combine the pork, peanut, dried seafood, and ginger with 8 cups of water (2 liter). Boil in medium heat for an hour. Remove and scum that appears
4. Add the lotus root to the soup and boil for another 1 – 1.5 hours in low heat. The lotus root should be soft. Add salt and white pepper powder to taste at the end.
Before serving, slice up the lotus roots and top with some chopped scallion.
The combination of steamed bun and lotus soup is simply unbelievable!