Almond Tofu (杏仁豆腐)
The week-long celebration of Chinese New Year has almost come to an end but many traditional festivities will continue into early February.
According to Chinese legend, one animal is created in each of the first 7 days of Chinese New Year. The 7th day of the New Year – the day known as Renri – is the day that human was created. Here is complete list found in an ancient literature from roughly 1700 years ago (Jin Dynasty):
- 1st Day: Chicken
- 2nd Day: Dog
- 3rd Day: Pig
- 4th Day: Sheep
- 5th Day: Ox
- 6th Day: Horse
- 7th Day: Human
Fascinating isn’t it? The God who came up with this order certainly picked the easiest to start and worked his/her way up.
On a different note, I can’t believe it’s been over 4 months since I posted a dessert last time. But this is all going to end as I am sharing this yummy Asian dessert as the first dessert post of this year!
Almond Tofu is a common dessert in Asian restaurants. This cold dessert is especially popular in the summer across the Asian regions.
The name Almond Tofu is a little misleading as gelatin is used to solidify almond mixture as opposed to the salt used in traditional tofu production. That’s why you might see this dessert labeled Almond jelly or almond pudding in different places.
This recipe makes 6 servings of basic Almond Tofu. If you want to make it fancy, you can also serve the tofu with cut up fresh fruits such as strawberry, blueberry, pineapple, mango, watermelon, and etc. Additionally you can also replace the milk with water or soy milk and substitute gelatine with agar to make this a vegan dish!
The recipe is made with the step by step illustrations. You can also save and print the recipe a few scrolls down.
Warm up the soy milk and water
Dissolve Gelatin in the mixture. Turn off the heat.
Add milk, almond powder, sugar, and almond extract. Stir to dissolve
Filter the mixture through a fine mesh strainer
Dispense the mixture into several bowls or cups. Chill in the fridge until solidified
|Almond Tofu (杏仁豆腐)||
- 350 ml Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 250 ml Water
- 300 ml Milk
- 1 bag Gelatin
- 50 g Unsweetened Almond Powder
- 60g Sugar
- ½ tsp Almond extract or vanilla extract
- A few Roast Almond or goji berry for decoration
- In a pot, combine the soy milk and water. Warm up the mixture for 3-4 minutes in medium heat.
- Mix in the Gelatin. Stir vigorously until the Gelatin is well dissolved. Turn off the heat.
- Add milk, almond powder, sugar, and almond extract. Stir until everything is dissolved.
- Filter the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the solid residues.
- Dispense the mixture into several bowls or cups. Chill in the fridge until solidified. Decorate with either roasted almond or goji berry.
Can add fresh fruits of your choice to make a bit fancier.
Also you can also replace the milk with water or soy milk to make this a vegan dish!
Don’t forget to check out some of the other desserts on this site🙂